Over the weekend I finished this scrappy log cabin quilt! It feels so good to finish a large project. It was one of the most enjoyable quilts to make, for it had so pieces from many earlier projects. I decided to quilt it with an all over angle design, however in each block I chose at least one piece to roughly outline. I like the way that the pieces pop when I do this, and I decided not to worry about how straight (or not!) these lines were. I like the overall effect, as well as the freedom I felt while making this quilt. I truly love improv, and the creative process that goes with it! We had a lot of fun taking pictures of this one
I backed this quilt with part of a king size duvet cover I ordered from West Elm over the holidays on clearance for $20! I can’t resist a sale, and a king size duvet will back at least 3 quilts. It is not quilter’s weight cotton, which I guess is the price to be paid, but since this was a scrap quilt I am not too worried about it. Besides, what is better than pickle and grey chevrons to complement the busy front!
I used a scrappy binding and actually machined bound this quilt, following this tutorial I found on Cluck Cluck Sew. We are going to put it to good use at home, and more than anything I just wanted to finish this so I could feel free to move on to other projects. This is the second quilt I’ve machine bound, and I really like it. Hand binding is much cleaner, but this is fast and efficient. I often find my projects getting stuck at various phases of creation, and binding is one of them. I also tried to roughly match the binding with the quilt’s color gradation. I may have to try this again with a little more accuracy in the future, as I’ve seen some great quilts with matched binding.
Lessons learned from this quilt include the importance of basting correctly the first time. I spent a lot of time smoothing bubbles out and re-basting throughout the quilting process. There is a lot of room for improvement, which is why this is a quilting journey I suppose!